The Connected Educator: Learning and Leading in a Digital Age – My Review

Was scrolling through my RSS reader today and found this review by Beth Still of Sheryl Nussbaum-Beach and Lani Ritter Hall’s book, The Connected Educator: Learning and Leading in a Digital Age. I have also finished the book recently, and thought Beth was brilliant to post her review in her blog – so I’ve done what every great teacher does – stolen a great idea for my own! 🙂

In all seriousness though, Sheryl Nussbaum-Beach and Lani Ritter Hall have produced an invaluable resource for educators. They gently escort the reader through a clear, systematic approach to connected learning and leadership while sharing personal stories and experiences. Their transparency is a gift!

The strength of this book lies in its organization. Each chapter begins with the authors’ personal stories, continues to provide clear, well-defined information and helpful models, and then highlights educators who are “Putting It in Practice” in the classroom. The chapters wrap up with a bulleted “Where Are We?” summary, a “Think About” section to help the reader apply learning to their unique situation, and a “Where to Now?” section that looks ahead to the next topic.

In addition, the authors push readers to begin connecting right away, by providing instruction and areas where they can connect with each other to discuss the book. Practical tools such as VoiceThread, WallWisher, and Diigo are used to connect readers. As the reader begins to create connections and use tools, Sheryl and Lani help them to construct a connected learning community by providing lists of educators to follow through Twitter and RSS readers. They explain the roles within the community, and identify the qualities of leadership within these communities. Finally, the authors look to the future, exploring the changing roles of teachers and administrators as education transforms.

After spending a year immersed in the Powerful Learning Practice program, co-founded by Sheryl Nussbaum-Beach, I can attest to the value and necessity in becoming a connected educator. This book belongs on the shelf of every teacher and principal as a practical, hands-on reference for learning and leading in the digital age.

One thought on “The Connected Educator: Learning and Leading in a Digital Age – My Review

1. The Connected Educator is a must read for educators at all points of connectivity…skeptic, novice, dabbler or active participant!